Friday, May 21, 2010

Lead with heart -- People will notice!

What does my son's Sophomore Class Award have to do with floristry?  I'll get to that in a minute.  In the meantime, here's background.

Picture this kid, 16 years-old, practically born smiling.  Throughout his life, he's known first-hand what it's like to live as the youngest of five siblings in a self-employed family.  Sometimes you have to wait a few months before you get new shoes -- that kind of thing.  Get in line.  Yes, you're adorable, but life is not all about you, all the time.

Intuitively, he discovered the sublime art of getting what he wanted.  Smile, ask, be patient, smile, ask, wait, smile, ask and smile some more.  Be respectful.  Apply your efforts.  And lead with heart.

He changed schools a couple of years ago.  Just two of his classmates moved along with him from the public school to a private high school.  If he wanted to have school friends, he would have to make them.  Smile and ask.  Be patient.  Be respectful.  I can't count the friends now.

Football and Wrestling are his favorite sports.  His winning ways of cheeful, respect and patience, with effort and heart have already produced awards for these sports. 

He sings all over the house.  With cheerful respect and effort, he became one of the only underclassmen in the Vocal Ensemble.  I believe he will become a leader here, too, because his smile continually shows the joy and passion in his heart. 

Last week I got a computer-generated postcard invitation to a school awards assembly-- well, due to a conflict with a wedding consultation, I didn't attend.  Ian thought it would be just an academic certificate or something-- His brother Joe said, "I bet you're Mr. Sophomore."  Now, if I could go back & change my appointment, that's an assembly I wouldn't have missed.

As a mom with faith in a loving God, I believe that our kids are gifts from Heaven.  It's my job to love them guide them, and show them how to live in this world by using their natural talents and abilities. 

Ian's got a natural gift for making people happy, among other things.  Mine is artistic, plus I adore flowers.  I feel most myself, at peace and happy when I'm designing flowers and serving my brides & business clients.  And my faith informs me of this truth as well:  You've got great gifts, too! 

What we do with these gifts is another thing altogether.  Ideally, I think when we are all using our particular gifts, with joy, effort, patience, generosity and a whole heart, people will notice.  And awards will follow.   

No comments:

Post a Comment